Adult Autism Services
In 2021 we officially launched our Adult Autism Services program in Melbourne with seed funding from Bendigo Bank. We were delighted to expand our Victorian services to support young adults leaving high school in response to the need for an autism specific program.
AASGSM embraces the Giant Steps philosophy, whilst maintaining an adult services perspective.
Adult Autism Services by Giant Steps Melbourne is an NDIS approved centre and community based program for adults with autism. AASGSM employs a fresh perspective for adults with autism; integrating a multi-disciplinary model and person-centered (PCP) approach. AASGSM is open to students graduating from the Giant Steps Melbourne Secondary Program, as well as to other young adults with autism from the wider community.
AASGSM employs a variety of trained professionals including; occupational therapists, speech therapists, behaviour support practitioners (IABA approach) and outdoor recreation professionals.
Participants have the opportunity to be a part of a wide variety of programs with the intention of promoting self-determination and independence. The typical day includes a combination of onsite and offsite activities which are tailored to the individual using PCP principles. Some of the services include:
- Community Participation & Life Skills Programs – a range of centre based & community based programs including a work education certificate at Box Hill TAFE.
- Work Experience Programs – unpaid and paid work – partnering with several different organisations including All Things Equal café.
- Outdoor Education – a range of outdoor activities to assist in maintaining emotional regulation and physical health.
- Therapy Services – occupational therapy and speech therapy – assessments, reports, program development, program implementation, consultation, staff training and much more.
- Behaviour Support Services – consultations, reports, plans and staff training.
- Glow Candles Project – delivers a structured vocational training program for adults with autism, building the capacity of participants across a range of skills from handcrafting candles to delivering orders. View Glow Candles here.