About Giant Steps
About Giant Steps
Giant Steps was established to bring world’s best practice in the treatment and education of children with autism to Australia.
Our approach is designed to provide each child or young adult with the opportunity to reach their full potential while giving families support and guidance.
Our schools provide a transdisciplinary approach to education combining music, occupational and speech therapy, while our Adult Autism Services provide adults with a relevant and engaging learning and recreational post-school environment.
Giant Steps Sydney was established at the old Gladesville Hospital site, about seven kilometres from the Sydney city centre, in July 1995 by a group of dedicated parents who wanted to bring world’s best practice in the treatment and education of children with autism to Australia. The school began with a program that was developed in Montreal Canada and an intake of 12 students.
Some 26 years later, Giant Steps Sydney has evolved into a leading educational centre for children with autism and their families. Giant Steps has a multifaceted approach to the provision of services to children with autism and their families, whilst spreading a culture of caring and professional excellence through the broader community.
Following demand from families in Victoria, Giant Steps Melbourne opened in February 2016 with an initial intake of 11 students.
In October 2019, we opened the Autism Training Hub to disseminate our organisation’s expertise and knowledge in response to the growing demand for professional learning services.
Our approach is designed to provide each child or adult participant with the opportunity to reach their full potential while giving families support and guidance. We also strive to improve the wider community’s understanding of autism and its complex nature and to research and develop world’s best practice among carers and professionals.
Giant Steps Sydney seeks to develop intensive therapeutic and educational programs to ensure that each child has the opportunity to reach their full potential.
Giant Steps also seeks to provide support to families, to improve understanding of autism in the wider community and to develop best practice among carers and professionals. Our vision is to continue to be recognised as a centre of excellence for the creation, implementation and dissemination of innovative and effective programs and services for children with autism and their families.
The core values of Giant Steps
- Maintain a culture of best practice service to individuals with autism
- Remain open to the acceptance of new ideas and approaches, seeking continuous improvement in all that we do
- Recognise the skills of our staff, encouraging commitment and dedication from a team of quality people
- Strengthen professional relationships within and outside Giant Steps Sydney
- Adopt collaborative approaches to challenges
- Promote constructive reciprocal involvement within the community
- Pursue growth opportunities consistent with our core undertakings whilst maintaining prudent financial and risk management
- Celebrate our achievements
- Committed to the health, welfare and safety of each and every student. Giant Steps has zero tolerance of child abuse.